Monday, April 27, 2009

After some time, lets get started...

I have been out of the garage due to my son's birthday and every day life. I was able to get into the garage and actually do some great work this weekend.

Rather than paint every little piece the same color I have glued them down to have them painted. The roof of the wheelhouse will be white and all the contents of it.

I am unsure if I am going to build the windows for the wheel house or not. Will require cutting clear styrene and dipping in Future.


So I found the bit to be a little toy'ish for me which is the one on the left. I have begun the process of scratch building a new one. The plastic post is 4mm in hight and 2.9mm in width. I drilled out one side of the post so the other styrene rod will slide in just like the original one.

I will drill out the other post on both sides and slide it down the stick. Make sure it is the correct width and glue it down. I will then need to add the support fins. I did this by making a rectangle the size needed, then cut a 45 angle in the desire location.



I have also decided to glue on the hand railing, steps and some other things on the stern end. These all need to be white with the deck so I can paint them in one pass.











Another shot of the hand railing.










This is a life raft that usually has a netting at the bottom. The original piece had injected plastic at the bottom to 'look' like netting.

I removed the bottom with a file and installed my own PE piece. The netting will be black while the rest will be a rescue orange.







This is the 'tarp' that goes on top of the life boat. The original part is smooth. I put white glue on the original part and then laid toilet paper (single ply) over the top. After painting this should look worn and like a tarp.. We will have to see if this works, if I don't like the way it looks i have a back up plan.







Once again I couldn't stand the original part. The part on the right is the injected part. You can see that each hole is plugged from the 'blast' plastic.

I got some PE (photo etch) grating and rebuilt that piece. Once painted it will look like the back deck or platform of a boat.






Here is another bit that I needed to rebuild. The original one actually broke. The main reason I wanted to rebuild this item is if you look at each end of it you will see what 'looks like' rope.









Once again, rebuilding another bit that goes onto the bow of the boat. The one one the left has imperfections in the injection and would be easier to build it from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment